Salt water treatment requires the installation of an electrolyser. This is an initial investment that does not exist with other treatments (salt or effective chlorine). However, it is more ecological and economical in the long term. Bathing comfort is highly appreciated, especially by families with young children. If you are unsure about which pool or spa treatment to choose, read this article to find out more.
How to treat your pool / spa with salt?
To treat your pool with salt, you need to invest in an electrolyser (the price varies between 400€ and 3000€ depending on the model).
L’électrolyseur au sel est un appareil électrique qui se connecte au circuit de filtration pour désinfecter l’eau de votre bassin. Il élimine aussi efficacement les micro-organismes et les bactéries. Grâce à une réaction chimique, l’électrolyseur transforme de façon naturelle le sel présent dans l’eau en chlore actif naturel. Une fois le travail de désinfection effectué, celui-ci va se retransformer en sel sous l’action des rayons du soleil. Si ce procédé se démocratise tout juste en France, il est très apprécié des utilisateurs de piscine et de spa dans le monde entier.
The benefits of salt water treatment
- Easier and faster to use: the electrolyser distributes salt into the water automatically. This saves time compared to other treatments, which require the regular addition of products. Salt replenishment is also less frequent and the chlorinator distributes the salt in the water automatically. This saves time compared to other treatments, which require regular addition of products. Salt replenishment is also less frequent.
- Healthier for the skin: if you have fragile skin, young children or a strong allergy, the salt treatment is the right one for you. Moreover, it is odourless (like Bromine).
- A more ecological treatment: salt is natural, does not pollute and does not require the addition of chemicals to the water.
- More safety: Thanks to its naturalness, salt is also interesting because it does not present the dangers linked to the storage of chemical products (storage out of reach of children and animals, in a dry place...).
Some precautions to consider:
Salt treatment has some constraints:
- A higher pH level: with a salt water chlorinator, the pH tends to increase. So don't worry if your pH measurements are not within the standards (7). pH regulators are available on the market and can help you to regulate it better.
- Wintering earlier in the season: as soon as the water temperature falls below 17°C, you must switch to winterization to preserve your electrodes.
- Regular maintenance: : maintenance of your pool must be done with great regularity, especially that of your electrolyser. Beware of the corrosive power of salt!